Student Success Specialist (Re-advertised)
Office of the Pro VC Learning & Teaching
PVC – Learning & Teaching
Nasinu - Valelevu
The Student Success Specialist (SSS) is a key member of the Learning Enhancement Team at the Centre for Learning and Teaching Enhancement (CLTE). The SSS will identify, assess, support and case manage new and continuing FNU students deemed at-risk for the purpose of improving student performance through target interventions. The SSS will also monitor academic progress and through collaborations with the college teaching staff, work directly with underperforming students to strengthen and improve their academic performance. The SSS reports directly to the Associate Dean Leaning and Teaching Enhancement (ADLTE).
The incumbent is expected to:
• Consult with Associate Deans for learning and teaching, heads of departments and teaching staff to design, develop, implement, and evaluate student support programs to enhance student learning.
• Conduct and analyse students' needs assessments.
• Develop and provide early and appropriate interventions, solutions, guidance and follow-up to improve student retention, persistence and completion.
• Provide individual coaching to help foster student success and academic development.
• Maintain documentation of all student interactions; generating regular performance reports summarising student progress.
• Make and receive referrals through the CLTE's Early Alert system.
• Provide intervention strategies and assist with the development of plans for students who receive early alerts.
• Conduct workshops and presentations for students to include, but not limited to, goal setting, time management, study skills, and communication skills.
• Collaborate with Libraries on workshops pertaining to information literacy.
• Utilise all FNU services offered to students for the purposes of student retention and success.
• Submit and update monthly reports on student support activities to ADLTE.
• Disseminate student support training opportunities.
• Assist ADLTE to write competitive bids for external/internal funding that support success activities.
• Assist with content management of the Student Support website.
• Develop a sustainability plan for continuation of student support effort.
• A postgraduate qualification in Teaching English as a Second Language/ Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Linguistics and/ or Literature. Multidisciplinary areas may also be considered on the basis of relevant work experience.
• 3 years of work experience in secondary/tertiary teaching.
• Experience in providing academic support to students.
• Experience leading meetings, facilitating trainings or educational workshops.
• Knowledge of emerging technologies related to learning and teaching.
• High level communication skills (written and spoken) in English.
• 5 years work experience in secondary/tertiary teaching would be an added advantage.
• Experience in project management for the student peer mentoring programme.
• Experience with Learning Management Systems such as Moodle.
• Ability to utilise data and metrics to communicate impact.
Base salary of FJ$34,105.00 plus 5% superannuation
All Rights Reserved. © 2020
Fiji National University
Design By :